- The department is divided into two sections which include the Islamic Research and International Religious Affairs Sections. The following table provides the functions for each of the sections: -
- Islamic Research Section
- International Religious Affairs Section
The following are the functions of the Department of Islamic Research and Religious Affairs: -
- Formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of policies, procedures, guidelines and regulations for supporting the Islamic research and religious affairs
- Preparation of the required research papers and Islamic studies on important matters and emerging issues.
- Production of a periodic specialist academic journal concerned with the publication of reviewed academic research papers in Shari'ah and Islamic sciences and related fields.
- Cooperation with scholars of Islamic law in Somaliland and outside regarding fatwa affairs.
- Offer opinions and advice in matters presented to it by state agencies.
- Coordinating the Islamic research and dissemination of results
- Coordinating various international organizations and relevant bodies of Islamic issues and the search for aspects of cooperation with them.
- >Facilitating the organizing of religious international conferences and seminars planned by the Ministry
- Coordinating the exchange of information and experiences with various organizations, bodies and institutions of Islamic in the field of Awqaf and religious affairs.
- Supporting the translation of the Islamic religious correspondences, reports and documents exchanged with different countries
- Preparation and implementation of the five (5) year strategic plan and budget for the department.
- Preparation and implementation of a comprehensive monitoring and evaluation system and tools for the Department
- Preparation and implementation of the capacity development for all staff based on the needs assessment and in-line with the Civil Service Commission (CSC) guidelines and requirements.
- Preparation of the annual financial estimates in consultation with the heads of sections
- Coordinating the formulation of the department’s risk management framework, risk profiling, risk reporting and monitoring